I am honored to have served as Escondido’s Mayor since 2010 and Councilman since 2004.
The proudest days of my life were when I swore to support and defend the constitution, first as a new citizen, and as mayor in 2010.
I am also proud to continue to provide excellent leadership to serve the great people of Escondido and lead our city to financial stability and economic prosperity. I am excited about the opportunities ahead of us and to continue to fight for you to make Escondido a better city for everyone.
As Mayor, I have delivered on my campaign promises, championed government reform and turned the city around financially and economically and made Escondido a safer city. My significant accomplishments focused on fiscal discipline, smaller government, public safety, neighborhood improvement and economic growth.
As Escondido’s Mayor, I have:
- Made Escondido a safer city, crime is down 48% (33% since I was elected Mayor). Escondido enjoys the lowest crime rate since 1980.
- Balanced our budget for seven consecutive years,
- turned a $16 million deficit to a $12 million surplus without using reserves or raising taxes. Built a $17 million reserve fund and $16 million public pension reserve fund, improved Escondido’s bond rating to AA-, earning the Taxpayers Association’s Golden Watchdog Award.
- Attracted $2 billion in new investments,
- since I was elected mayor, recruited 2,203 net new businesses (723 last year alone) and created more than 3,000 new jobs.
- Reduced government, wasteful spending, improved efficiency and streamlined regulations.
- Implemented pension reform, efficiently staffed our Police and Fire Stations, saving taxpayers over $1 million a year.
- Improved City’s image as an attractive place for business and visitors. Best Life magazine ranked Escondido #49 in the best 100 cities to raise a family.
- Invested million of dollars to improve our neighborhoods. made our urban areas safer and cleaner. Created a thriving and vibrant downtown.
As your Mayor I remain strongly committed to our core mission: Economic Development, Financial Stability, Public Safety and Neighborhood Improvement, make city government more transparent and accountable, integrate innovation and technology to our Smart City initiative and create economic prosperity for our businesses, families and residents.
I have been proudly endorsed by the Escondido Police Officers Association and hundreds of prominent community civic leaders, elected officials, and organizations. I would be honored to have your support and your vote for my reelection.